- Attributes: Goddess of chaos, conflicts, discord and rivalry
- Symbols: Golden Apple
- Place: Greece
The one who brings war and doom: this is Eris, the Greek Goddess of Chaos. With long black hair, an evil look and a face considered ugly in some myths, she was despised by her parents, Hera and Zeus, while in other myths was born only from Nyx, the Goddess of Night.
After being despised by her parents, Eris sought the companionship of the titans, being betrothed by Titan Ether and giving birth to 14 children, each one endowed with an evil power. This gave the Goddess the title of "Mother of Evils". This Goddess was able to bring forth and grow discord and hatred in people's hearts, causing one death to always result in more deaths.
Due to her deplorable nature, the Gods did not invite her to the wedding of Peleus and Thetis, Achilles' parents, but when she heard about it, she confirmed her presence anyway. Eris stole one of the golden apples of the Goddess Hera's immortality, given by Gaia, and turned it into the acid apple of discord.
Arriving at the wedding party, Eris threw the apple through the door, between Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite. The apple contained an inscription: "for the fairest one" and the three began to fight for it, while Eris laughed, hidden in the shadows.
They were sent to a trial led by a mortal named Paris, so the one who was "fairer" was the owner of the apple. Hera promised him power, Athena promised him wisdom and Aphrodite promised him the most beautiful woman in the world, Helena. Paris chose the gift of Aphrodite and gave her the apple, while the other two Goddesses corroded with anger.
What Aphrodite did not tell him, however, was that Helena was already married to the king of Troy, Menelaus. Paris kidnapped his "prize", thus initiating the Trojan war.
Eris loved it.
Devotees to the DiscordEris is equivalent to the Roman Goddess Discordia and has a cult dedicated only to what it represents: Discordianism.
This worship is centered on the idea that order and disorder are illusions imposed by the human mind, and that none of them is more correct than the other.
Eris in pop culture
- In the TV series "Xena: Warrior Princess" and "Hercules: The Legendary Journey", Discord was a fixed antagonist, being the captain of Ares, the God of War.
- In "Sinbad - The Legend of the Seven Seas" from Dreamworks, Eris is the main villain. She controls several monsters and aims to take possession of the book of harmony, to plunge the world into chaos.
- In the TV series "The Librarians" a golden apple is shown in episode 5 of the first season. It is called the apple of discord and transforms those who hold it in the worst version of themselves.
- In 2005 a planet was discovered in the confines of the solar system, the tenth dwarf planet is called Eris and its moon is called Dysnomia (Formerly the planet was nicknamed Xena, and the moon Gabrielle). This name was given because of the discord that its discovery caused among the scientists since many considered it being an asteroid.
- "Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac" had its first feature film released in 1987. In it, the Goddess Eris embodied in a young woman who kidnaps Saori Kido, Athena's incarnation, to steal her vitality through a golden apple.
- We can also find Eris in the popular short story Sleeping Beauty, in which a "bad" fairy is not invited to the celebration, and then appears, bringing disgrace on the whole kingdom.
Download and install our free Android app to help you in your daily meditations with the Goddess!